IMEDIATE SURROUNDINGS OF MOKRI POTOK
Mokri Potok is located on a terrace above the confluence of two streams and valley, in which stream with the same name flows. Mokri Potok was named Unter Wetzenbach or translated Lower “wet” creek. If we translate it from old german language, which was used by Gottschee, literal translation is Jumping or restless stream. It is located 5 km SE from Kočevska Reka and approximately 15 km from Kočevje. On our way to Kočevje we drive through villages Novi Lazi and Štalcerji.
East of Mokri Potok there are two sink valleys, which are becoming overgrown and hard to reach since Mokri Potok and Sadni hrib were abandoned.
- sink hole of Mokri Potok, named Miževka (Milžunk, Mižuk). Miževka is now a reserve forest ment for protection of ecosystem of carst stream with its sink hole. (on right and lower picture)
- underground stream of Mošenik with a name Malence. The stream is getting the nature of ancient creek.
On both places there used to stand brickworks for local needs. (source).
You can read more about hydrology in the area here.
In the middle of Goteniško-reška valley, on the slope of Goteniški Snežnik (1290 m) Kočevska Reka is located. Wider area was inhabited 3000 years ago, while first Slovenians inhabited the forest free areas in 13th century.
In 14th century Counts Ortenburgs settled kočevska region with german farmers mainly from Tyrol and Carinthia, which evicted the are during the WW2. New church of St. John the Baptist, is built on the same site of the old church, which was destroyed in 1953-54. The church was probably built in 14th century; in the year of 1511 it was destroyed by earthquake, than it was rebuilt as a defense church against the Turks, in the year of 1693 it burned down and was rebuilt again. It had luxurious altar, the work of Frančišek Duldt and paintings drawn in 19th century. In the new church most of equipment is the work of sculptore Stane Jarm. Specialty are painted windows.
In the middle of village there is a memorial park with chestnut avenue and the thickest chestnut in Slovenia with age of over 400 years. In the height of chest the volume is 434cm and it is 15 m tall. Below the chestnut there is a stone bench with year 1696 chiselled on it.
There is also a 20 ha big lake (Reško jezero) in Kočevska Reka. In the late years the lake is registered as a reserve. In the surrounding forest white-tailed eagle nests. Lake is inhabited by pike, pike perch, carp, tench, chub, rudd, perch, shellfish,… (more)
Kočevje is located in the widest part of Gottschee field. The city by the name Gotsche was mentioned for the first time by Patriarch of Aquileia Louis della Torre on 1st May in 1363. Kočevska was first inhabited in the first half of 14th century with Slovenian settlers and later with German by Counts Ortenburgs, while the periphery of Kočevje was settled by Slovenians before that time. Through the city flows a river Rinža, there is also artificial lake in the vicinity. (more).
The geographical closeness and remoteness of landscape the Gottscheers passed their customs, traditions, costumes and language from one generation to another and preserved as a German linguistic and cultural island in the middle of the Slovenian ethnic territory more than 600 years. In the city there is also the church of Sv. Bartholomew made of stone, which was completed in the 1903.
source of picture: http://www.visitdolenjska.info/
Novi Lazi is located a bit more than 3 km NE from Mokri Potok. In the land register the village was first mentioned in 1498 with 19 houses. In the year of 1770 the village had 40 houses and 63 before the WW2 with 223 residents. Now there are 107 residents in Novi Lazi. In the village there is a church of Sv. George, which was first mentioned in the documents in the year of 1526 and was destroyed in 1955. You can read more here.